Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Food Pantry ~ my work


I've been given the right-up-my-alley position of librarian and food pantry organizer at my church. Yesterday was my first day. I was to do inventory on our food pantry items. It was easiest to do inventory by first organizing the food. So I made spots for these items:

Peanut Butter
Grape Jelly
Spaghetti Sauce
Spaghetti
Canned Tuna
Canned Chicken
Canned Soup
Ramen Noodles (Beef & Chicken flavored)
Rice
Pinto Beans
Canned Corn
Canned Green Beans
Mac and Cheese

I list these here because I think these are ideal for a package. I also want to add Chili (to have another meat item), Crackers (for people who don't have bread), Tuna & Chicken Lunch Kits, and those soups that are in their own bowl-like or mug-like container and just need boiling water poured over them. 

The items that could be given to truly homeless people, (those who don't have access to cook) are Tuna and Chicken Lunch Kits, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Crackers, Ramen Noodles, and the Soups that need only boiling water (I say these last 2 because if it just takes boiling water poured over, I am hopeful they could find access to that. Maybe even, the church could have heated water to share when they come get their food). 

Just ideas going on in my head. Anyone else had experience with a food pantry? I will say that it also gives me ideas for family living on survival level.

Linked at:
The Better Mom, Time Warp Wife, Growing Home, True Aim Education, We Are That Family, Women Living Well, lowercase letters, Passionate and Creative Homemaking, Consider the Lilies, Raising Homemakers 

image from here

2 comments:

Your comments make me smile..